First part of the most popular middle section of the Vltava river.
The first section of the most popular part of the Vltava river for canoeing or rafting. In Vyšší Brod you can start a 3 to 4-day journey. Local rentals are provided for multi-day trips.
Sleeping options include classic boating camps and guest houses. There are plenty of restaurants and pubs in Vyšší Brod.
Canoeing and rafting
The advantage of this section is good navigability, simply because it starts just below the Lipno II reservoir. The minimum required water level is 60 cm. You can find the current water level on the Vltava river Basin website.
There are a lot of snack bars waiting for you, and these checkpoints:
(mileage calculated from the boarding place in Vyšší Brod)
- 900 m: Weir near the White Mill (Bílý mlýn) - impassable due to reconstruction in spring 2019
- 3.7 km: Camp Herbertov
- 3.9 km: Weir Herbertov - passable pass, but dangerous, there is a camp before the weir
- 6.2 km: Three Squirrels Camp (U tří veverek)
- 10 km: Rožmberk - sleeping and restaurants
- 10.3 km: Weir Rožmberk - watch out, watch the current state of the reconstruction, which started in 2018. There are 2 camps after the weir
- 20.6 km: Camp Branná and Camp U Fíka
The entire central section of the Vltava from Vyšší Brod to Boršov is very popular with tourists. The busiest time is the first week in July, which we recommend to avoid.